Saturday, 26 March 2011

Twitter

I finally joined twitter to see what the fuss was about, I had no real desire or urge to join  before starting this subject. I heard mentions of it in the media many times but didn’t really think much of it. I have also noticed that some of my group buddies share similar sentiments. I had preconceived notion twitter was used by celebrities or people who had a lot of time on their hands to make random comments. I didn’t think it would benefit me and that there would be anything particularly useful for me on there and besides I didn’t think I would have anything interesting to tweet about. After I created my account I was quite surprised to discover that I could follow a large range of organisations and people.


Since joining I am following Yarra Plenty Regional Libraries and Bibliotheca Alexandrina which are libraries I am investigating for another subject, LA Times books, Library of Congress, a few celebrities. The libraries above tweet on a regular basis to inform the public about library news and announcements such as people in the library profession being honoured for their work and also about upcoming events and activities being held in the libraries. Similarly the LA times books shares information about book reviews, announcements and news.

I see now it can be used as an important communication and marketing tool for many organisations including libraries and other information agencies. They use twitter to share important information and also make people aware of their services and products.  I can say that I have been proved wrong after using it.

Looking at link 'Twitter in the classroom’ from Michael Stephens blog Tame the Web,  I have discovered school are using twitter as a method of communication to extend discussion beyond classrooms and they have also  they have replace email announcements. Another use is instead of students submitting hard copies of their work, when they finish their work they tweet about it so the teacher and their classmates can have a look at it. This is more streamlined and convenient, student work  is accessible to more people awider audience and it also helps the environment.

Here are some problems and issues with Twitter I discovered from the article 'The Disadvantages of Twitter' by Kay Miranda:
  • It be can lead to a high number of impersonal relationships because in many cases you don't really know the people you are following, only really know them through their comments or posts or they follow you hoping that you will reciprocate and follow them back. There is a lack of real connection.
  • It can be a very time consuming activity especially if you are regularly tweeting and following other peoples tweets.
  • An individual may fall victim to predators because you may not realise who is following you. Furthermore, there are employers and welfare agencies watching what you do online. If you project an undesirable image, you may be passed up for a promotion or may not considered for a new job.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment