I decided to use the google maps service to map some of the places I visited during my trip to New Zealand quite a few years ago. I visited both the north and south islands but I have decided to map the south island because the scenery and landscape on the south island are so beautiful and picturesque. I found it to be quite an easy and straight forward process, I searched for the map, then marked the places on it and I also provided a brief annotation/description of each place as well as a picture from google images. I also used the link functions to try and customise the map in terms of size and map view but I was unsure of how to save it and wasn't sure how to embed it in my blog. Here is a link to the map I created. I have included some images of Fox Glacier and Kaikoura a coastal town on the south island. I have also included a video of Scenery in New Zealand titled New Zealand Fantasy Land. Fox Glacier
Mashups
Mashups
I spent some time looking at some mashups on various topics. I found some interesting and useful mashups through the programmable web including virtual tourism where you are able to view interesting tourist destinations around the world and also a video of the place, this could give you an idea of places you may like to visit in your travels. There was one titled 1000 songs to hear before you die and another one worth looking at is 22 books which is dedicated to creating sharing and viewing of books lists. There are lists on various topics and I hope to spend some time exploring it further as well as other mashups.
On another note getting back to my last post on social bookmarking, Charmaine and Amy managed to access the google doc I created after some minor issues relating to email addresses but it all worked in the end which is the main thing! I'm not sure if Edda was able to access it as yet. We all posted some thoughts and comments on Library Thing and Delicious and I noticed we all have similar thoughts especially in relation to library thing and using it to view what others are reading, discovering new books to read as well as the appeal of the social aspect of it and joining groups This demonstrates that google docs is a great tool for collaborative work on a document and sharing thought and ideas on a topic so all involved can view and access them whether it be for assignment or other purposes.

No comments:
Post a Comment